Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A thick and heavy presence

 
Do you ever feel the presence of God? The Bible says that if we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us, (see James 4:8), and that's not just a command for us to carry out, but it is also a promise.

I have frequently find myself experiencing something quite tangible going on when I am praising and worshipping, praying or being prayed for. Most usually, it happens when I'm in at church or at a special meeting, but occasionally at home too. I love to worship God, lift my hands to Him, sing and sometimes dance and shout out praise to Him (the shouting bit is easier if others are too of course!), and often I can be doing this, feeling nothing in particular, when suddenly, something physically starts to happen within me. Sometimes it's barely perceivable and no one else would know, other times, I physically shake and can't help but groan or cry out, and sometimes end up on my knees or laying flat on the floor, as a strongly overwhelming sensation of power literally feels like it is flooding and coursing through me.


Frequently in the past, and occasionally still now, I get a real intense feeling of "electricity", pins and needles, in my hands and lower arms. On one occasion this incredible feeling went right up to my shoulders! The "electricity" in the arms is usually accompanied by a tightness in my chest resulting in breathing deeply and heavily. It is an amazing sensation!

In recent times, I have often found myself experiencing similarly intense, but slightly different feelings. I have found my left hand and sometimes leg shake, (maybe connected to he fact I'm left handed?), or a "heaviness", like something pressing down on me. Sunday before last at the end of the evening service, I felt like I was being pushed down in my seat. When I got up, I still felt something was resting upon me for over half an hour, until it was time to go home. A similar heaviness came over me last Sunday as well.

So what is this all about? As Christians, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us. Romans 8:9-11 talks about this and how His Spirit can interact with our human body and GIVE US LIFE!

"You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you." 

When Holy God comes into contact with mortal man, something is going to happen. A reaction is going to take place. In the Bible, there are many references to people falling down to worship God. Falling down speaks to me not simply of getting carefully upon ones knee in a dignified manner, but literally falling, dropping, becoming prostrate.

Ezekiel 1:28 says; "Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell face down, and I heard the voice of one speaking".

When God's presence comes, when we allow Him to draw near to us by opening ourselves up to receive an encounter, He really does want to meet with us. We may not all shake, tingle or fall -I certainly don't always - but don't exclude the possibility. Maybe it's like God giving us an embrace, a cuddle, an assurance He is there and loves us so much. And not least, it is a sign that He has and is empowering us to go out and do His work:

Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Do you need charging up today?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today I felt an overwhelming physical heaviness after I was prayed for and had hands laid on me in church today. It was very heavy, and lasted for the rest of the day. It returned to me when I came home and began researching what this possible manifestation was. I know it was supernatural!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sunday the presence of God was very strong during the worship. I could feel Him all around me His spirit filling up the church. Then at some point i felt like i was lifting something heavy. My arms...it felt like i was carrying something in my arms as i was lifting them. I couldn't help but think that there was something in the spirit realm that needed to be broken so that the worship could go to a higher place. Don't know if that's what it was i felt it once before at church another time when the presence of the Lord came in like a flood so strong, and at that time i thought the same thing. I wonder now what was that all about.

Anonymous said...

Praise God I also experience a heavy anointing of the holy spirit, whenever I lifted up my hands and worship I get this wonderful tangible feeling coming down my arms my hands began to tighten in the center of the palm of my hands throbs as a heart is beating with a pulse rate, I get so overwhelmed with what I am experiencing I began to cry praising and thanking God. I am still learning and trying to understand the gift of the holy spirit. I do know I have been blessed, and saved from the bottomless pits of hell, thank you Jesus Christ for standing up for me.

Unknown said...

Thank you Brothers and Sisters. Please share more experiences of the holy spirit! God is alive yesterday, today,tomorrow and FOREVER!